Nursery Rhymes are so important in developing reading.
Each year the Academy gifts a nursery rhyme book to every Foundation Stage 1 child in order to start their journey to becoming a fluent, lifelong reader.
How to help you child
- Start with short, simple rhymes e.g. Twinkle Twinkle, or Baa Baa Black Sheep
- Read the nursery rhyme to you child, using actions and facial expressions to capture their interest
- As your child get used to the rhyme, encourage them to join in
- Miss our rhyming words...encourage your child to finish the line
- Devise your own actions for the rhyme that your child can join in with and remember
- Clap along with a steady beat
- Say the words wrong and let your child correct you!
- Make a nursery rhyme prop box by collecting items that feature in the rhymes, these can include paintings and drawings you do together
- Visit the library to borrow other nursery rhymes